3 Cup organic dried garbanzo beans
3/4 Cup Himalayan salt
2 T organic miso
3 Cup organic koji
3/4 Cup cooking liquid
Doesn't have to be organic, but i'm an organic lush!
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Cook until soft.
- Strain and save 3/4 Cup cooking liquid.
- Allow beans to cool and dry in a strainer for an hour
- Dissolve 1/2 Cup sea salt into 3/4 Cup cooking liquid
- Process beans until smooth
- MIx 2T unpasteurized miso into 3/4 Cup brine
- Mix brine with koji
- Add processed beans to brine
- Steam the inside of a large jar over a pot of boiling water
- Put half remaining salt inside and shake to coat
- Spoon miso in and press down firmly
- Spread a layer of salt over the top
- Put a flat object on top and weight down with a clean stone
- Cover with cheese cloth and elastic band
- Put a heavy weight on top
- Ferment for one year (a miso year is miso that has been through a summer)
- Scrap off top layer and make soup
- Refrigerate or keep in a cool place